Thursday 13 September 2012

Kazan 7.09.12-8.09.12

We arrived here in the afternoon and met Kate...have to say I think we were pretty out of it that night, still rocking as we were walking along or sitting. 
We knew next to nothing about this city apart from the 1.5 pages in one guide book between us.

Kazan is a new city, according to Kate they are rebuilding it as a third capital of Russian to be known as well as Moscow or Saint Petersburg. As Kazan is the Republic of Tartarstan, Russia of course we ate some Tartar food for dinner which included a famous dessert 'Chak Chak' which is a fried honey cake, but to me it tasted like stale rice crispy squares with honey.
The next morning we visited  the Kremlin of Kazan, before I start on this site less than one page on this city and I truly believe it deserves an entire chapter. Kazan is a beautiful place and as it happens turned out to be one of my most favourite places, it's a quiet city but it is also completely busy with all the changes and new buildings.
The next morning we visited  the Kremlin of Kazan, built by Ivan the Terrible on the ruins of the former castle of Kazan khans and has since been declared a world heritage site.
We had a lovely wander around and headed out to our next destination which was a monastery a little bit out of town, Kate's favourite place in Kazan. Aimee and Bec decided to boycott and go shopping instead so it was just Talitha, Alison, Kate and I. We headed out to the forest region outside of the city by bus and ended up the most peculiar and beautiful place. It was like a little town almost, with brightly coloured gardens and buildings we visited the oldest church in the area which apparently had the most incredible acoustics....Kate was right. She asked the priests to sing for us...
I cannot accurately describe the feeling I had but the sound of their voices just reverberated everywhere and shot straight through me, the most glorius voices in complete harmony. Every change in pitch and tone was crystal clear and it just ran through me, when they were finished I felt like I was glowing from the inside out.
I have found something quite beautiful about Russian Sunday service, they say their prayers they dedicate themselves and take their time however there is no actual service and the church is completely silent apart from the shuffling of little Babooshka feet. Walking into one of these places you can literally feel calmness wash over you, they have gone to extreme lengths to make sure that everyone can celebrate their religion however they wish...just imagining that once upon a time these churches and cathedrals were closed and people were worshipping in secret. Even Kate's grandmother during that time was baptising children in secret helping people continue to celebrate in a time when they really needed it.
Walking through that little place was just beautiful, it was definitely one of the most beautiful places I have been on this trip so far. Going back we stopped for the best Shasliks I have ever had in my life followed by the best bread I have ever had in my life!!!!! *mouth is currently watering just thinking about this*
This evening we had some delicious fruit blended tea and homemade cakes in a little romantic cafe in the city centre, they were absolutely divine!!! The man who owns the little cafe and makes the cakes is always there and is apparently all dressed up all the time looking dapper. We  visited the Kremlin again just so we could see it at night before we had to leave for Suzdal on the train, it's even more beautiful at night if that's even possible.
I'm very sad to say goodbye to Kazan and to our beautiful Kate.....it's a place I would visit again later on if I had the chance again
To Suzdal......





Look Mum we match!!!!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment